It's Okay to Need a Break.

11:38 Unknown 30 Comments



I'm not sure how to begin this post, so if this seems a bit un-put together, I apologise.

Sometimes in life, as hard as it is to admit, we need to take a break. We also need to realise that it's  okay to need a break. Something that I believe is against human nature. Of course, what we need a break from changes with every person, be it work or study, or something entirely different. What doesn't change, is how important it is to take that break when you need it.

For me it was with my studies. Last year, my heart just wasn't in it. I wasn't motivated and was very slack. In an ideal world, I should have realised this and taken some time off, but I didn't. Instead, I just continued on, and I saw my grades and progress slip. In the end, by not taking a break, I did myself a great disservice, and made the situation more complicated. I'm not sure why I didn't just take a break; maybe a part of me felt that admitting I needed a break was in a way admitting that I was a failure (which is ludicrous), or perhaps I didn't want to disappoint my loved ones. If I'm honest, it was probably a bit of both.

Maybe it's human nature that makes it difficult for us to admit we need some time off. We think this makes us look like failures and that we are admitting defeat, when in fact it doesn't. In the end, by not taking a break, we are doing ourselves more harm than good. Something I wish I had realised earlier on. In truth, having the ability to recognise when you need a break, and to then take that break is a big component of self love.

So please, If you feel like you need some time off, I urge you to look after yourself and take that break. If it were a friend telling you that they needed a break, you wouldn't hesitate to tell them to do just that. So why should it be any different when it's you?


Please feel free to leave your thoughts on this topic in the comments below. I would really love to hear your opinion.

Ps.  Things To Do When You're Feeling Down -xx

You Might Also Like

30 comments:

  1. You're so right - taking a break is so important! I took some time off doing uni work over Christmas and it helped so much. I'm glad you're feeling better after your break! xx

    Toasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and it makes a big difference. I always tend to feel much more refreshed after a break. Thankyou, I'm glad you are feeling better too! Goodluck with uni.

      -xx

      Delete
  2. Taking a break is very important, I have taken a break from blogging many times as well as from other things and often I find when you come back to it, you enjoy it so much more and in the case of blogging you have more ideas and enthusiasm for it.
    Ottilie | O is for Ottilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100% Taking a step back really does give everything a fresh perspective when you come back to it. I too always find I am more motivated and have have much more enthusiasm for something once I come back to it.

      -xx

      Delete
  3. I have often felt the same way - that taking a step back only means I'm slacking or failing at something that I have committed to. WRONG. Realizing that you need to take some time away is O.K. and taking that time to recoup and regroup will only make you come back stronger {and better} in the long run! Great post and super relatable! Xx

    Rosy Cheeks | http://www.rosycheeks.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you always come back feeling better after you take a step back. Thank you very much.

      -xx

      Delete
  4. I believe taking a break is required! Sometimes life gets too much and we just need to! xx

    I'm at blogsallbeautyy.blogspot.co.uk with a new post - enjoy! :) X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I 100% agree. Taking a break when we need it, is just taking care of ourselves.

    -xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely agree with this. You need time off from almost everything at one point of your life or the other and it is completely natural and also something you should own. Too much of anything can get exhausting.
    Great post!
    Zoha x - ZOE AND TIMA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Needing a break is nothing to feel ashamed about. Thank you !

      -xx

      Delete
  7. It's so important to recognise when you need a break!! I feel it gives you that time just to get your head in the right place and to re-energise yourself!! Great post lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, couldn't agree more. Thanks beautiful.

      -xx

      Delete
  8. Hey lovely I just wanted to pop over and say thank you so much for leaving that lovely comment on my blog it really made me smile. This post is fab I'm not great at recognising when I need a break and it does me no good at all!
    Coleoftheball xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm glad it made you smile. Thank you for popping over here to say hi! I hope you become better at recognising when you need a break in the future.

      -xx

      Delete
  9. I just wanted to say that this was such an honest and amazing post! I definetely need to listen to this advice because I kick myself when I'm too stressed and don't give myself time!

    Megan X

    I'm over at - www.lifewithmcm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Thankyou! It is definitely good to give yourself some time when you need it. Even though it can be hard to do that for ourselves.

      -xx

      Delete
  10. It's really hard to admit that we need a break but it can be the best thing for us when we do. What an honest post!

    I hope you feel better after your break and it does you the world of good!

    Carrie xo
    http://www.cazmosworld.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree 100%. Thank you, I am already feeling much better and I think upon returning back to uni I will be in a much better head space.

    -xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes this is so true, very important to take a break and take stock of what is important! XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree. I think in today's culture we are pushed to work as hard as possible but I think it's equally as important to look after ourselves and our wellbeing. It's brave of you to make that decision to take time off study despite what your family might think! I think that's all about what growing up is about, making decisions for ourselves. Well done & good luck with your year ahead. :)
    Sally x
    http://asprinkleofsally.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Thank you, I only wish I had done it sooner. However not taking a break, taught me how important it is to make sure you do take one. Thank you, wishing you all the best for the year ahead!

      -xx

      Delete
  14. i definitely agree, everyone needs a break sometimes. i really disliked school so it took me a bit longer than most to finish, but everything works out in the end :)

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything always works out in the end :) Wishing you the best for the year ahead.

      -xx

      Delete
  15. Breaks are so important for your mental health. There's no point pushing yourself to do something when your heart isn't in it.

    hannahsnotebook.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, couldn't agree more! Wishing you the best for the year ahead

      -xx

      Delete
  16. soooo true,i was in the same case last year and it's soo hard to not let ourselves breath!!
    nice post,full of inspiration <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is hard, when it shouldn't be. It is so important to look after ourselves, but so many of us really could improve in that area. Thank you <3

      -xx

      Delete
  17. This is exactly why I don't have a blogging schedule. I post as and when I feel like it. There's no pressure on me whatsoever and so the fun doesn't get taken out of it :)

    Rosie at Damzel In This Dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. For me, having a set schedule doesn't work and I find I get more post out when I don't feel pressured. I enjoy blogging more this way.

      -xx

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.